Three themes are common to every stage of the LEAN social impact approach: being impact-led, communication, and embedding impact.
A social enterprise with an impact-led strategy is led by the impact it wants to create. This means being your purpose, rather than having a purpose. Why bother? Many organisations get bogged down in a cycle of continuing to exist. This approach doesn’t always address whether your real mission is being delivered properly, or at all.
When it comes to communicating impact, there are nine essential questions to address – otherwise you risk miscommunication or excluding people. Heidi has great ideas for communication channels and outputs for different stakeholders.
When impact is truly embedded, everyone in your organisation knows what impact you’re trying to create, why you’re measuring it, and is confident about how they contribute to creating it Heidi talks through the macro and micro elements of this, from culture to everyday actions.
Here’s the podcast. Click the large arrow to play, or hover over the media player and click on the icon on the bottom right corner to download it. Or listen through Spotify, Apple Podcasts or Google Podcasts if you prefer.
- The five stages of Heidi’s LEAN social impact approach are Define, Plan, Measure, Analyse and Learn, and it’s important to progress through each stage before moving to the next.
- Heidi’s new book, out in Autumn 2020, shares everything she knows about impact measurement and management – and how to implement it in your organisation.
- Get your copy first! Pre-order one of the limited number of hardback versions of
Impact First – The Social Entrepreneur’s Guide to Measuring, Managing and Growing Your Impact. Please click here
- Enjoyed the podcast? Listen to other episodes here
- If you use a podcast directory like Apple Podcasts, please leave a review or rating – it helps other people discover the wonderful work of my guests
- And if you are interested in being interviewed and are from an existing social enterprise creating a proven impact, please contact presenter Heidi Fisher at Make An Impact CIC