A scientist with a corporate background, Dr. Wayne Wright is the Chairman of Maidstone Warriors Basketball Club – and an interviewee with a passion to help people live with meaning and purpose.
Maidstone Warriors is Kent’s largest all ability youth club catering for girls and boys for children from Yr 4 to 18. In addition they have strong and vibrant men’s teams and a women’s team.
Here’s the podcast. Click the large arrow to play, or hover over the media player and click on the icon on the bottom right corner to download it. Or listen through Spotify, Apple Podcasts or Google Podcasts if you prefer.
In this episode Wayne discusses:
- Avoiding the ‘boom and bust’ two-year cycles which trap many social enterprises
- How by focusing on one human being means you can support many
- Why businesses should play a part in shaping society
- The importance of making a profit and how Maidstone Warriors uses surpluses from some business activities to support impacts
- What basketball for all means in terms of participation, and why the entry point to basketball with Maidstone
- Warriors is not-competitive
- A heart-warming story of the team’s impact
- Succession planning, building resilience and organisational capacity
- How to align your passion, skills and purpose
- Enjoyed the podcast? Listen to other episodes here
- If you use a podcast directory like Apple Podcasts, please leave a review or rating – it helps other people discover the wonderful work of my guests
- And if you are interested in being interviewed and are from an existing social enterprise creating a proven impact, please contact presenter Heidi Fisher at Make An Impact CIC