We’ve all heard stories which have horrified us. But when Dave Linton was told how most children in care have to transport all their possessions – their lives – in black bin bags, he wasn’t only shocked and appalled. He resolved to do something about it.
Dave, a former youth worker, launched social enterprise Madlug CIC to give dignity to children in care.
Madlug stands for Make a Difference Luggage and makes “incredible bags.” For every Madlug bag bought by a member of the public a giving bag, centred around the needs of children in care, is donated.
Here’s the podcast. Click the large arrow to play, or hover over the media player and click on the icon on the bottom right corner to download it. Or listen through Spotify, Apple Podcasts or Google Podcasts if you prefer.
In this inspirational episode, Dave covers:
- His lightbulb moment and why he launched Madlug
- Starting the business with just £500 and where he focused his energy first
- The most difficult challenge he faced to get the business up and running
- How Madlug grew
- Its impact so far, not only from giving over 10,000 bags to children, but further impact too
- Future plans
- Advice for other social entrepreneurs
- Enjoyed the podcast? Listen to other episodes here
- If you use a podcast directory like Apple Podcasts, please leave a review or rating – it helps other people discover the wonderful work of my guests
- And if you are interested in being interviewed and are from an existing social enterprise creating a proven impact, please contact presenter Heidi Fisher at Make An Impact CIC